in need of a parenting coordinator

A Key Player You May Need In Your Custody Case

Do You Need a Parenting Coordinator?

You and the other parent have your custody order.  It’s straightforward and clearly defined.  There’s only one problem.  Despite a clear parenting plan, there is still a lot of fighting between the two of you.  The fighting could be for a multitude of reasons like continued anger and distrust of the other person.  Whatever the reason, you’d love to go back in front of a Judge (and maybe you already have… more than once) but continued litigation is so expensive.  What do you do?  Consider a parenting coordinator.

North Carolina allows contentious couples to seek decisive relief without spending large amounts of money continuously going before a Judge.  In North Carolina, a Parenting Coordinator (PC) can be appointed in high-conflict custody cases to assist parents outside of court and help them reduce conflict.  According to N.C.G.S. §50-90 and §50-93, a PC is an impartial person with an advanced degree in psychology, law, social work, counseling, medicine or a related subject area.  He or she must have five years of related post-degree experience and must participate in 24 hours of training related to child development, high-conflict family dynamics, divorce, mediation and problem-solving techniques.

If appointed, the judge is required to specify the authority granted to the PC in a court order.  Matters within the PC’s authority can consist of identifying disputed issues, reducing misunderstandings, clarifying priorities, exploring options for compromise and developing methods of collaboration.  Perhaps most importantly, a court can grant a PC the authority to decide issues that relate to the implementation of the parenting plan but that aren’t specifically governed by the court order.  This power is especially helpful in ensuring custodial issues which come up in everyday routines or emergencies are decided quickly and in the best interest of the child.

If you believe your situation calls for a parenting coordinator to be appointed, contact us to discuss your legal options today.  Our attorneys are also qualified to serve as parent coordinators in your case.

%d bloggers like this: