Sydney J. Batch, J.D., M.S.W. is one of the founding partners of Batch Poore & Williams, PC. Sydney Batch grew up in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. As a triple tarheel, Sydney received her Bachelor of Arts in English, a Master of Social Work and a Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The combination of her dual degree in law and social work provide her with a unique understanding of the often intersecting worlds of law and social work. Her primary practice areas are family law and child protective services Sydney is certified as a Child Welfare Law Specialist.
Sydney is actively involved in a variety of committees and organizations involving both family law and juvenile matters. In 2018, Sydney was elected to the North Carolina House of Representatives for District 37, encompassing Holly Springs, parts of Apex, Fuquay Varina and Angier. In 2007, Mrs. Batch was appointed by Justice Sarah Parker of the North Carolina Supreme Court to a three-year appointment position on the North Carolina Family Court Advisory Committee. Justice Parker appointed Mrs. Batch to another three year appointment in 2010. In 2009, Justice Sarah Parker appointed her to the North Carolina Family Court Advisory subcommittee ad hoc workgroup on disproportionate representation of minority children in the child welfare system.
In her spare time, Mrs. Batch enjoys reading, traveling, watching football, and spending time with her husband and two sons.
Professional Affiliations and Activities:
- North Carolina Senator – District 17
- Former North Carolina House of Representatives – District 37
- 2019-2020 Super Lawyers Selectee (North Carolina – Family Law)
- Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist by the National Association of Counsel for Children
- Certified Parent Coordinator
- 10th Judicial District Grievance Committee Member
- Member of North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association member, family law section
- Pro Bono attorney for The Child’s Advocate, a project of Legal Aid of North Carolina
- Julia Crump Foundation board member
- Former North Carolina Family Court Advisory Committee member, juvenile A/N/D representative
- Former North Carolina Family Court Advisory Subcommittee member, ad hoc workgroup on disproportionate representation of minority children in the child welfare system
- Former Board Member: Wake County Women’s Center
- 2011 Abuse, Neglect, Dependency and Termination of Parental Rights Manual Advisory Committee member, established by The Court Improvement Project through the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts and UNC’s School of Government
- Wake County Abuse Neglect and Dependency Rules Committee member
- Faculty Member for New Parent Defender CLE held by the Institute of Government at UNC-CH
- Former Faculty Member for Parent Attorney Conference held by the Institute of Government at UNC-CH
- 2017 North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society Inductee
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, J.D.
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, M.S.W.
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, B.A
Areas of Practice: